For many years, we would travel to Denver to visit my husband’s family. One of the highlights during that time would be a family outing to the iconic White Fence Farm. There we would have a home style dinner of fried chicken and the trimmings. Among our favorite “starters” served was the creamy kidney bean salad and the corn fritters. White Fence Farm is no longer open, but our craving for that salad persists. I went out searching for a copycat recipe that would feed the need to re-experience those meals. I found such a recipe at The HerBeeVore.
- 4 (14.5 ounce) Cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste (this is optional-I leave it out when I make it)
- Drain and rinse kidney beans. Put them in a very large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and stir to combine. Add the mayonnaise, relish, onion powder, seasoning salt, black pepper, and Red Pepper Flakes if used. Stir all ingredients together, and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cover bowl, and refrigerate 4 hours before serving, or preferably overnight.
- Store in an airtight container. Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days.