What’s better than the combination of blueberries and lemon when summer comes? I found this recipe on delish.com and it screamed “Bake me! Bake me!” And so I did…
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BLUEBERRY TOPPING:
2 cups blueberries
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
FOR THE CAKE:
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 c.whole milk
1 c. cold heavy cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray. Make blueberry topping: In a small bowl, combine blueberries with sugar and lemon juice and toss to coat. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and arrange into an even layer.
- Make cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, then add lemon zest and vanilla and beat until combined. Add half of the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Pour in milk and mix until fully incorporated. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour cake batter over blueberries and smooth with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 hour. Let cool in pan 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make topping: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat heavy cream with powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream. Garnish with blueberries and lemon slices, if desired.